Durban transporter loses two trucks after port shutdown ‘betrayal’

Durban transporter loses two trucks after port shutdown ‘betrayal’

Durban –  There has been a new twist to the events of Thursday night where two trucks from the same company were set alight on South Coast road. Disgruntled transporters had earlier threatened to stay away from the Durban port.

Messages of threats of violence towards those who would choose to work during the shutdown circulated on social media prior to the arson attacks.

Speaking to SA Trucker, a transporter who was part of a meeting to map out the way forward on the shutdown, revealed that the torched trucks belonged to one of the organisers of the shutdown.

“He was just paying for selling out, just after addressing us as one of the leaders of the disgruntled transporters, he straight away sent his trucks to go to work,” said the transporter who have asked SA Trucker to keep his identity secret.

SA Trucker spoke to other transporters who were at the meeting that took place on Dayal road in Clairwood who all expressed disappointment with the service at Durban ports and the truckers who do not cooperate when they try to fix things.

“While we plan to address our problems with Transnet, others will be waiting for you to slip up on your contract so that they can take over. There is no trust amongst ourselves hence we may never win against our common enemy,” said another transporter.

The transporter in his response to the allegations said, “Those are not my trucks, but I work with the owner. It’s a case of mistaken identity, I would not have betrayed my colleagues because we suffer together at the hands of Transnet.”

He has pleaded with SA Trucker to remain anonymous.

Some transporters parked off their trucks after videos of the trucks burning on the South Coast road circulated on social media.

Police are investigating two cases of arson and no arrests have been made.

Facebook Comments