Jozini horror accident truck driver’s case postponed

Jozini horror accident truck driver’s case postponed

Sipho Ntuli, whose truck was involved in the horrific Jozini accident in KwaZulu-Natal, appeared in the Ubombo on Wednesday morning.

The 43-year-old faces eight counts of culpable homicide and driving while under the influence of alcohol.

His case has been postponed. Ntuli will remain in custody after he abandoned bail.

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Natasha Kara said the case was remanded to August 19 for further investigation.

On June 10, Ntuli lost control of an empty sugar cane truck he had been driving on Jozini’s main road, ramming into nine vehicles before ploughing into a market area where street vendors had set up shop, killing eight and injuring 32 others.

MEC for transport, community safety and liaison in the province Bheki Ntuli previously told TimesLIVE that one of the critically injured people had died in hospital, bringing the death toll to nine.

It is unclear whether a ninth count of culpable homicide has been added to the charge sheet.

Ntuli had allegedly been under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash and that blood specimens, taken upon his arrest, have been sent to a laboratory for testing.

Facebook Comments