Pietermaritzburg- KwaZulu-Natal Premier Senzo Mchunu has been given until Monday morning to hand in his resignation, a senior government official told News24 on Friday evening.
Mchunu was called into a meeting at the party’s provincial offices in Durban on Friday and was told he had been axed, said the source, who works in the Premier’s office and did not want to be named for fear of reprisal.
“He was told that he bloated the staff at the office of the premier from 300 to 500. Social Development MEC Weziwe Thusi also said he was interfering with her job. That is why he was axed.”
Attempts to reach Thusi failed.
The source said current Transport MEC Willies Mchunu would replace Mchunu and be sworn in on Tuesday.
Calls to Willies Mchunu went unanswered. Senzo Mchunu also failed to respond to queries.
The ANC in the province could not be reached for comment.
The source said the provincial cabinet was expected to be reshuffled on Tuesday.
Education MEC Peggy Nkonyeni would apparently be replaced by Nomagugu Simelani Zulu; Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs MEC Mike Mabuyakhulu by ANC chair Sihle Zikalala; and Agriculture and Rural Development MEC Cyril Xaba by Mthandeni Dlungwana.
Arts and Culture MEC Sabhidla Saphetha would be replaced by former Umgungundlovu District Mayor Bongi Sithole, and Mxolisi Kawunda would be appointed transport MEC.
“Our standing policy as the office of the Premier is that we don’t comment on matters of deployment,” Mchunu’s spokesperson, Ndabezinhle Sibiya, told News24 earlier on Friday.
Calls to Nkonyeni went unanswered.
Economic development and tourism spokesperson Boyce Mntambo said: “I am just an official. I suggest you contact the ANC leadership or the chair herself.”
Agriculture and rural development spokesperson Lelethu Manetsa said nothing had been reported to him about Xaba’s replacement.
Arts and culture spokesperson Mluleki Mntungwa said he did not comment on such matters.