Transnet Port Terminals have written to the trucking community using their Cape Town Terminals urging them to be more vigilant and follow TPT conditions of Trade to ensure their safety and that of its employees.
The letter addressed to Cape Town Trucking Fraternity read;
Thank you for your business and continued support of TPT, Cape Town Terminals. Please be reminded of the following requirements that are applicable for trucks calling at the Cape Town Terminals. This is also an appeal to remain vigilant when operating within Terminal operational space.
1. When a driver enters the terminal to load or offload, he/she shall remain in the truck and may only exit such vehicle prior to the lifting or loading of a container or cargo to or from the vehicle.
2. When exiting the truck for the purposes of point 1 above, the driver must position themselves next to the truck cab and have and maintain, a clear and safe view of the operational activity/activities to keep themselves as safe.
3. The driver, while within the terminal precinct shall stay clear of any moving equipment by maintaining an approximate eight (8) meter distance from such operating equipment at all times. The exception is the careful positioning of the vehicle for loading and unloading purposes.
4. Truck drivers may not loiter and may not have group gatherings inside the terminal. (Reference to point one above)
5. The wearing of PPE is compulsory along with the required face masks as per the Covid-19 requirements
6. Truck drivers shall not exceed the speed limit for safety of self, terminal staff and other visors. It is an offence to speed within the terminals. An offence can result in the Trucking Company having its terminal permit reviewed.
7. This request for cooperation for the sake of improving safety must also be read in conjunction with the TPT CONDITIONS OF TRADE
Please assist by informing your drivers of the rules explained above.
All queries for the Safety Induction only must be directed via e-mail to [email protected] and contact details: 021 449 2577.