21.9 C
Durban
Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Driver in Pongola Horror Crash, Sibusiso Siyaya, to Remain in Custody Until 2024 Pre-Trial

- Advertisement -

Sibusiso Siyaya, the truck driver behind the truck that killed 20 people in a crash in Pongola last year, will know his fate next year when his case will be transferred to the Mtubatuba High Court.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said this during Siyaya’s appearance in the Pongola Magistrate’s Court on Friday.

Eighteen children between the ages of five and 13 died on September 16, 2022, when the bakkie they were travelling in collided head-on with Siyaya’s truck.

- Advertisement -

The deadly crash claimed the lives two adults, one of whom was a teacher.

A week after the crash, Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula visited the crash site and released a report stating that the truck driver was reckless because he overtook on a barrier line and drove in the oncoming lane for 1.2 km, endangering the lives of motorists.

“The driver never made an attempt to go back into his own lane.”

Read | Pongola crash driver’s camera ‘intentionally blocked’, says employer

- Advertisement -

He said driver error was a major contributing factor, and his action was prohibited.

In court on Friday, provincial NPA spokesperson Natasha Kara said Siyaya was served with an indictment.

“The matter has been transferred to the Mtubatuba High Court, where he will appear on January 22, 2024, for a pre-trial conference.”

Kara said Siyaya will remain in custody following his unsuccessful bail application earlier this year.

During the bail application, the State proved that Siyaya was in fact a flight risk who might abscond if released on bail.

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- SPONSORED -spot_img

Stay Connected

727,113FansLike
9,815FollowersFollow
65,200FollowersFollow
35,612FollowersFollow
91,492SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -

Similar Stories