The Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) has introduced an innovative online portal for reporting minor crashes.
SA Trucker browsed through the RTMC website and found it very user-friendly compared to having to deal with a cop at the police station, among many other good reasons.
It must be stressed, however, that not all accidents qualify to be reported online, hence motorists have to check the terms and conditions before the lapse of 24 hours to report a crash.
Some as of the terms and conditions for reporting a crash online are as detailed below;
Crash Reporting – Terms And Conditions
- This submission of a crash report will be legally binding.
- All crashes must be reported within the 24 hours of occurrence.
- The system will provide the user with an automatically generated Crash Report Number (CRN) for insurance claims.
- The system will only allow for the reporting of minor damage crashes.
- Crashes which include a person or persons being injured, killed or involved in hit-and-run accidents must be reported immediately to your nearest South African Police Services (SAPS).
- All crashes involving 5 or more vehicles must be reported at your nearest South African Police Services (SAPS).
- The information submitted by you can be made available to your insurance service provider.
After the terms and conditions of reporting a crash online, the user is asked to accept and continue with the report.